Whether it has been a long and stressful day at work or you have met up with friends for a night out, many people enjoy an alcoholic beverage. With each drink you have however, what exactly is happening to your body and mind?
One glass of wine (12%, 175ml) or a pint of 4% lager
- You feel more relaxed and become more talkative
- Confidence increases
- Driving ability is already impaired
Two glasses of wine or two pints of lager
- Blood flow increases
- You feel less inhibited
- Your attention span is shorter
- Your body starts becoming dehydrated which is one of the causes of hangovers
Three glasses of wine or pints of lager
- Your reaction time is slower which is why you must not drive at this stage
- Your liver has started working harder in order to process the alcohol
- Your sex drive may increase while your judgement starts to decrease which is why so many people do something they regret whilst intoxicated
Four glasses of wine or pints of lager
- You’re easily confused
- You become noticeably emotional
- Your sex drive may now decrease and you may become less capable
Whilst most people will recognise these signs as the evening progresses, it’s also important to consider that everyone handles and processes alcohol at different speeds. For example, a larger man who drinks regularly will be able to handle a couple of drinks much better than a petite woman who hardly ever drinks.
If you think that you or someone you know may have a problem with alcohol, please feel free to visit our Alcohol Addiction Treatment and Rehabilitation page for more information about the signs, symptoms and treatments that are available. You can also contact us today for help with alcohol abuse.
Call our Enquiry Line
Book a Free Addiction Assessment at Life Works in Surrey.