High quality eating disorder treatment in Woking, Surrey
Eating disorders, including anorexia and bulimia, are serious mental health conditions that typically cause people to become preoccupied with controlling their weight, size and body shape. This obsession can result in sufferers interacting with food in unhealthy ways, which can have a profoundly negative impact on their physical and psychological wellbeing, and can even result in death.
Eating disorder treatment during the COVID-19 outbreak
Life Works is still able to provide support for those with eating disorders during this time.
Dr Lorna Richards, Consultant Psychiatrist at Life Works and Priory Hospital Woking, specialises in treating people with various types of eating disorders. In this video, Dr Richards provides tips and advice for people living with an eating disorder during the coronavirus outbreak. She explains that isolation, as well as reduced food options, panic buying and over-exercising may all be particularly challenging for those with an active eating disorder or those living in recovery.
Set within a beautiful Georgian manor house in Woking, Surrey, Life Works is one of the UK’s most renowned rehab centres, providing exceptional, evidence-based treatment for all forms of eating disorder. Our expert multidisciplinary team have a wealth of experience in delivering specialist treatment for these complex conditions, helping you to overcome your destructive behaviours, and resume the healthy and fulfilling life that you deserve. In addition, we understand that eating disorders are unique to each and every one of our clients, and as such, we ensure that you are placed at the centre of your treatment journey and receive excellent one-to-one support as well as group-based interventions, in order to meet all of your personal needs and produce the best possible outcomes for you as an individual.
At Life Works, we recognise that it can be difficult to seek help for an eating disorder. However, if you think that you or someone that you know may be struggling with an eating disorder, it’s important to understand that you’re not alone, and the most crucial first step is to seek specialist support.
Which eating disorders are treated at Life Works?
We are able to provide specialised treatment for a range of eating disorders at Life Works in Woking, including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder (BED). We are also able to treat eating disorders that are more atypical in nature, known as ‘other specified feeding or eating disorders (OSFED)’, or ‘eating disorders not otherwise specified (EDNOS)’. These conditions don’t meet the exact criteria to receive a formal diagnosis of anorexia, bulimia or BED, but they are no less severe, and still require expert intervention. You can read more on the symptoms and treatment for each eating disorder by clicking on the links below:
- Anorexia nervosa
- Bulimia nervosa
- Binge eating disorder
- Other specified feeding or eating disorders (OSFED), which is also sometimes known as ‘eating disorders not otherwise specified (EDNOS)’
What is an eating disorder?
Eating disorders are complex mental health conditions that are characterised by severely disrupted eating behaviours and a preoccupation with weight, appearance and body shape. An individual with an eating disorder may become obsessed with controlling their weight and food intake, causing them to interact with food in harmful ways. Unhealthy eating habits in a person with an eating disorder may include:
- Limiting the amount of food that they consume
- Eating large quantities of food in one sitting
- Developing unhealthy behaviours to influence food and weight e.g. induced vomiting, laxative abuse, excessive exercise
- A combination of the above
The destructive eating habits associated with eating disorders can be extremely detrimental to an individual’s physical and mental health, and can even result in death.
Eating disorder treatment at Life Works, Surrey
Our eating disorder programme is suitable for adults (both male and female) with a body mass index (BMI) of 14.5 and over. We use a range of tried and tested therapeutic interventions at our specialist eating disorder clinic in Surrey, all of which are evidence-based and have been found to be effective in promoting a sustainable recovery from these debilitating conditions.
This page was reviewed by Steve Clarke, Hospital Director, (MSc, NCFED) in 2019 and is scheduled to be reviewed again in 2021.
Life Works also offers:
- Intensive inpatient, day care or outpatient treatment options available. Inpatient eating disorder treatment typically lasts for between 28 and 42 days (although this can be longer if needed), and our day care and outpatient offerings can be used as either step-down options once you have completed comprehensive residential treatment, or as an entry-point to treatment, depending on your unique condition, needs and requirements
- Evidence-based eating disorder therapy delivered in a number of different formats including:
- 1:1 therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- A variety of practical dietetic techniques, designed to help to gradually expose you to the concepts of healthy eating, diet and nutrition. These include:
- Personalised meal plans
- Weekly shopping groups
- Weekly cooking groups
- Weekly psycho-educational groups, specific to eating disorders
- A range of therapeutic approaches which are specific to eating disorder clients:
- The Maudsley Model of Anorexia Nervosa Treatment for Adults (MANTRA)
- Body image/acceptance groups
- Drama and movement therapy
- Understanding emotions groups
- Relapse prevention groups
- Meal and post-meal support, with input from the full multidisciplinary team
- Other therapeutic interventions which can be used for both eating disorder and addiction clients:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) informed groups
- Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) informed groups
- Art informed therapy
- Drama therapy
- Access to off-site Anorexics and Bulimics Anonymous (ABA) meetings, if clients wish to attend these sessions
- Weekend leave opportunities available for clients nearing the end of their inpatient treatment programme, in preparation for discharge
- A comprehensive family programme for clients who stay for 28 days or more
In addition, due to the fact that we are a relatively small centre, with a very close-knit, ‘family feel’, even though eating disorder treatment is predominantly group-based, clients still receive lots of 1:1 support and a truly individualised treatment experience.
You can read more about eating disorder treatment on our approach to eating disorder treatment page.
Treatment delivered by a world class team
Our exceptional team consists of leading experts in the field of eating disorders, and each member possesses extensive clinical experience in the treatment and management of these complex conditions. We are able to deliver a diverse range of established eating disorder therapy techniques, as well as offering dietetic and nutritional input to help you to overcome your unhealthy eating behaviours. All treatment is individually tailored according to your unique condition, symptoms and requirements and we ensure that you are placed at the heart of your treatment journey in order to produce sustainable, positive outcomes.
Our dedicated team consists of:
- Consultant psychiatrists
- Registered nurse
- Healthcare assistants
- Complementary therapist
- Wellbeing practitioners
We are also supported by a team of GPs at nearby St John’s Health Centre, to further assist with clients’ physical health needs.
Call our Enquiry Line
Book a Free Confidential Assessment with an Eating Disorder Specialist at Life Works.
For more information about the eating disorder services that Life Works offer, download our brochure.Get our brochure